» Surf Dog Competition
Surf Dog Competition
Surf City Surf Dog Competition presented by GreenDog Naturals, Sunday, 9/30, Huntington Dog Beach
(PCH & Goldenwest Street)
$10 from your $50 entry fee will go directly to the Charity Partner of your choice! When you register make sure you designate who you want to support.
Surf City Surf Dog will be hosting private one-on-one lessons in July/August/September. When you register, please note that you want to be informed about scheduling information or click here. Our lesson are taught by real surfers/surf instructors and dog lovers!
Division / Heat Information
All surFURS will compete with other dogs in the same weight class. The top two or three dogs in each heat will advance to finals at the judges discretion. Prizes will be awarded by weight heat and overall as well. Click here for 2012 Surf Dog Event Judging Info.
- X-Large Dogs (60 lbs +)
- Large Dogs (41 lbs – 59 lbs)
- Medium Dogs (21 lbs – 40 lbs)
- Small Dogs (20 lbs and under)
- For a schedule of the heats, please check the schedule page
Guinness World Record Attempt – 20 dogs, riding on one wave (own boards) for 5 seconds!
We have been working with Guinness World Book Records on Claim ID 400861 and BBC/Lion TV Production Crew. Their new TV Show, Official Amazing will feature official Guinness World Record attempts - it will look at the science behind the records and the motivation and personal stories of those involved. Essentially not just looking at the records themselves but why do people strive to break them and just how is it possible to do what they do.This attempt will take place (Mother Nature cooperating) after the normal heats, before the Finals. We invite all registered and not registered surf dog to join us in this attempt. The Claim ID 400861 rules are:
- Dogs must have a clean bill of health.
- The event must take place on the sea/ocean or on a body of water with waves. It can also take place in a wave pool or similar, permitted the waves are constant.
- Only one dog per surfboard is permitted. If two dogs are on the same surfboard, neither dog can be counted towards the record.
- Human handlers can ride the surfboards with the dogs, although this is not obligatory. Only one human handler per dog is permitted.
- All the surfboards must be traditional and commercially available.
- The dogs must stay on the surfboards and ride one wave for a minimum of FIVE (5) seconds once they are on a wave. A loud start and finish signal recognised by all participants must be used. Two experienced timekeepers (e.g. from a local athletics club) must time the attempt with stopwatches accurate to 0.01 seconds.
- All the dogs must surf SIMULTANEOUSLY for a minimum of 5 seconds.
- If any dog falls off a surfboard during the five second attempt, they cannot be counted in the total count. However, should the human handler fall off but the dog remain on the surfboard for the entire attempt, the dog can be counted in the final count.
All registered dogs will receive a participation medal and winners of each weight division will win a commemorative award and overall Surf Dog Champion will also win merchandise award. Awards Ceremony held at Shorebreak following last Final.